EAGA is working with Councils across Victoria to assist businesses to purchase low-cost renewable energy and cut their emissions.
The Business Renewables Buying Group is being established develop a scalable and replicable procurement process for medium to large electricity consumers to enter into renewable energy Power Purchase Agreements (PPA). This project is being led by the City of Yarra and being rolled out in the regions covered by EAGA and the Northern Alliance for Greenhouse Acton (NAGA).
The participating councils have all declared a climate emergency and have strong ambitions to support our communities towards a zero emissions future. A key component of this ambition is supporting our business community to accelerate to a 100% renewable electricity supply.
All participating Councils are also already on renewable electricity contracts via Council-led group purchasing projects. This project will utilise the experience and lessons gained in the successful Melbourne Renewable Energy Project (MREP), MREP 2, and Victorian Electricity Collaboration projects.
What is the Business Renewables Buying Group?
The Business Renewables Buying Group is designed to bring together a Buying Group of like-minded local businesses. With Council support, the group will work collectively to scale up their buying power whilst cutting complexity, time, and cost associated with going 100% renewable.
The Business Renewable Buying Group is open to medium-to-large energy consuming businesses across the participating Council regions.
Through this Business Renewables Buying Group we are striving to build not only this initial group, but further refine this model and create and new repeatable and scalable group purchasing method to support more businesses joining a renewable future.
Why join the Business Renewables Buying Group?
- Improved market response for your businesses, with more options and potential price benefits due to increased load
- Ability to work with others who are going through similar decisions to compare considerations and support each other
- Reduced project costs and staff time by spreading the workload across the group
- The process is led by an experienced facilitator, with access to specialist strategic advice.
What are the benefits of a renewable power purchase agreement for your business?
- Cost effective way to reduce emissions and deliver on your strategic goals
- Long term and stable pricing provide budget certainty and reduces exposure to energy market volatility
- Avoid repeated internal procurement processes over the duration of the PPA contract
- Participation in this project and renewable energy purchase can provide Reputation, branding and leadership benefits
- Opportunity to directly support the renewable energy industry.
Register your expression of interest to join
We are now seeking expressions of interest from businesses to participate in the Business Renewables Buying Group.
To be eligible you must be:
- a medium to large energy user (spend over $100,000 per annum)
- have some component of your business located in the ‘participating regions’
- be open to signing a long term (+5 year) renewable electricity supply agreement.
There is no initial upfront cost. Energy and legal advice costs will be determined at the group stage.
Expressions of Interest close at 11:59pm on 30 June 2022 (unless the buying group is full prior to this date).